Saturday, January 3, 2009

f.e.a.r....forgetting everything's all right

it is so exciting, and fun, and scary to be traveling to vietnam to meet my little girl. a good friend, the best massage therapist in the entire world, gave me that acronym for fear this morning. i LOVED it! recently, i had been talking to many well-meaning people, about the upcoming adoption. they were asking lots of questions that i realized were evoking many anxiety type emotions and physical reactions in me. i don't think i've ever had that happen before. the more conversations i had, the more incapable i felt. how will you 'communicate' with her? what if she doesn't want to leave the orphanage with you? not questions that i hadn't thought of, for sure; but i was letting myself see this from the wrong perspective. will it be hard? most likely. but i have to keep bringing myself back to the reason why we are doing this. HIM. that's it. i think HE would do it. i think it pleases HIM. i've experienced a great peace until i let myself get caught up in how it seems to the world. why would you put yourself in this position at your age? i was 'forgetting everything's all right.' HE is going with me. HE already knows the joys and trials we will encounter. that gives me a huge amount of comfort. i am simply following where HE has led us. pretty cool to be walking in the footsteps of JESUS.

p.s. sam and i were at walmart today in the produce section (after having covered every other square foot of the store...). i thought i heard someone say my first and last name. i turned around but didn't see anyone i knew. and this cute couple said 'are you ......". he said, hey it's tory and we are going to vietnam with you!!!! i honestly have emailed with him many hundreds of times over the last five months, and talked with him dozens. the whole group exchanged pictures once and his wife thought she recognized me. so instead of meeting him at 5 am in the airport this friday, we met amidst the fruit.

p.s.s. i have three blog followers! i really need to get a life because that makes me smile.

8 comments:

  1. I love your attitude. You areso right aboug f.e.a.r. I went to Vietnam for a vacation and it is an amazing place...plus you will be meeting your sweet phoebe.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day I get more excited for you. Right now you are living my adoption journey :) Praying for you and especially Phoebe as this will be a "change" for her. God is in control. Take alot of pictures :) and even shop alittle

    Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love you, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked back in to see if you had any news at your original/old blog. I can barely type - tears of joy in my eyes - what wonderful news! You are traveling to meet your daughter. I am thrilled for you and her! I love the "fear" definition, so true! You and she will do wonderfully together, I just know it. What a wonderful start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan

    Praying for you and Phoebe daily. More specifically since you gave your testimony last Sunday night. I am now also praying for Thomas and Martha as they make the trip with you. I didn't know until today that they were going with you. I'm glad to hear that. I will miss Thomas in Sunday School. He is the smartest little boy and so, so sweet. I loved getting the pictures of Phoebe today with your blog page. Can't wait to see the updates as you make your journey. Here is another acronym for fear:
    False Evidence Appearing Real
    Everything will be great. God is on your side and is in control of all of this and has been from the start. So just remind yourself of that if you start feeling fearful. You would not be making this trip if it were not His will.

    We can not wait to meet Phoebe!

    Love ya
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. "f.e.a.r...forgetting everything's all right" I love it! Jan, you and your family are such an inspiration. I'm very excited for you and can't wait to meet Phoebe. I'll be praying for you and your family during this time.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan and family, we are so thrilled for you and your beautiful new daughter. We are waiting for our 5 year old son from Vietnam (referred June 2007) and it makes me happy to see each new child going home. We hope we soon follow! Wishing you safe and happy travels! Mary Li and Jim (www.huntershomecoming.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear friend, you are so precious. i love you so much. we are so excited about your trip, God's plan and newest addition. YOU ARE AWESOME.
    one tip: make a "helper sheet". Do you remember us talking about Daniels? take or cut photos of Thomas doing things (since he is going) or of Sarah :O), anyways, basic needs to fun things.. Daniel had these photos on a 8 x 11 sheet of paper and then it was laminated. IT ROCKED. If we had any confusing moments, he would go get it and point to what he wanted.. aaaahhh only one tantrum and it really was my fault.. the boy NEEDS food :O).
    the photos:
    reading, watching TV (i know but hey i didn't make it), eating, drinking, sleeping, bath, toilet (this on had a western and squatty next to each other and oh - no one was demo-ing this one ;o), playing with toys, - okay i can't remember what else.. you get the idea though. It really was the best thing ever.. and the SWI did this!
    I am praying for you guys. as you already know, communication will come, love will come, trust will come. HE has already set out the path and HE will be there again with you every step of the way. HE has called you guys to this child, HE knit her and formed her - she is yours. Just as she is HIS. Just as YOU are HIS.
    so excited and CAN"T wait until SUMMER for our reunion.. all the NEW BABIES YEA YEA YEA
    I LOVE YOU
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your latest post, seems closed to comments but I had to say, I know what it feels like to wait for and get that glorious I-600 approval. So very happy for you! And traveling, like now!, wow! On angels wings! Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete