Tuesday, January 6, 2009

the trial regarding the trial

i am documenting this story for posterity's sake. i want to remember it and i want phoebe to know some of the details surrounding her adoption. if i don't get it on paper now, my memory will fade and it will be lost for her.

about two minutes ago, we received our 1600 preapproval from US immigration!!! for those who have adopted, you know what that means -- everything! we officially now can travel (like in about 55 hours). this is THE email we have waited for since july 17th to be exact. all through august and september, the first thing i did in the morning was look to see if THE email had arrived during the night. nope, not yet. counting the days. watching other blogs to see their approval date compared to their filing date. ours should be coming anyday. but it didn't.

i think it was september 19th, we received notification that our case, along with 8 other families, were on 'hold'. huh? why? and what unfolded turned out to be the longest, most time-consuming, emotionally-investing, heart-wrenching project of my life to date -- get this girl home. unless you have walked a similar path, i could never begin to fully explain what transpired over the next 3 1/2 months. to smoosh it into a sentence or two, here is what i'd say -- there was a man who was a security guard at the orphanage. he had been arrested back in april for 'buying' a baby. because he was the guard when our kids were abandoned, the vietnamese national police were asked by the US government to investigate his possible involvement in 'buying' any of our kids. it would take me all night to explain the volume of emails, correspondence, and phone calls that took place to ambassadors, senators, representatives, staffers, and other government officials -- and since i just figured out i have to be out the door in 55 hours, i won't take the time. it is pretty boring stuff anyway :)

and then the trial of the security guard happens on december 12th finally and he is found innocent of any wrongdoing, other than the one child in april, which it looks like he did for humanitarian reasons. very stupid what he did, but his motive wasn't. so after dec. 12th, we gave our government the documentation of the trial they said they needed to approve our cases. but they didn't. december 19th was a particularly emotionally volatile day between all involved parties. the boys had their choir performance that night and afterward we went to eat chinese with friends and a bunch of foreign exchange students. i sat by one of my very bestest friends ever and basically unloaded. i was so tired. so weary of battling a battle that seemed impossible to win. strength gone. faith low. just couldn't see why it had to be so hard. what lesson, what purpose was it serving? i just wasn't getting it....

...and then it was late when we got home. i checked email after everyone was in bed and there was the reason why. the reason why i had to have this trial in my life that revolved around this security guard's trial. one of the people in our little group had just emailed me. i had prayed for our situation, and her son in particular, on the phone one day about two months prior. she was now writing to tell me that my faith through this ordeal had changed her life. what? she felt a peace after that prayer that she hadn't felt before. she thanked me for sharing my relationship with God so freely. her eyes had been opened to my spirituality. and so on the day where i was ready to hang in up, distance myself for awhile from the impossible task at hand, God shows me what i needed to know. i grabbed hold of that email and cried. i told her my testimony. it isn't pretty. i explained how no other person or religion could have done what Jesus did. He changed my life. He protected me for all the years i gave Him no thought. and now He showed Himself once again at the exact hour i needed it. and to think that i had wondered, does He care that this is going on? is He in it with me? obviously He was, and is. thank you Lord for your absolute perfect ways. You amaze me. continually.

8 comments:

  1. OH Jan! How God perfectly weaves together the pieces is beyond human understanding - but He is (what I call) the Miracle-Working, Mountain-Moving, Awe-Inspiring, Gasp-Giving God!!

    Thrilled beyond words that it's almost just about time to leave for VN...Yippee Jesus!!

    Praying for all aspects!!

    Love, Linn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I am so excited for you!! I can't believe all that you went through...the enemy did all he could to create an obstacle to stop this adoption. BUT GOD!!! He intervened and now you leave in a matter of days. All glory to our Great God!!

    I can't wait to follow along...Post OFTEN!! With lots of pics!!!

    Love you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan,
    Congratulations on your precious little girl!! I understand the journey has been rough but the prize will be better than gold once your little one is in your arms. Isn't God mighty??

    Hey, I noticed you are from Indian.....AND saw the 2008 P.R.O.M.I.S.E program blog from Hazelwood CC. I live in Plainfield!!! and am a member of PCC!! Small world!!! We are in the process of our second SN adoption from China!!
    Can't wait to follow your journey to VN. Will add you to our prayer list at Church tonight!!

    Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, Thanks for sharing and allowing us to follow along on your journey. I am so excited for you. That's an extra gift from the Lord that he gives to adoptive parents. He allows us to feel that overflowing love and excitement with each friend who adopts. I'm so lucky to know you and get to feel so much excitement again. Who is traveling with you this time? Just curious if you decided to take the kids. Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan,
    YES, I know Gary and Susan! In fact, I am headed out the door for choir pratice. I will see Susan there and I will tell her I just "met" you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH! I am so excited for you all! What a wonderful time you have ahead of you.
    You are in my prayers!
    Jenni Shoemaker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story is amazing, and I can't wait to see pictures of you and Phoebe together, finally! We will be praying for you here in Ohio! It will be interesting to follow along, as I know nothing about VN adoptions (just China), so thanks for sharing. And our very best wishes for a safe and wonderful trip to VN and home!

    All the best,
    Nicole A. in OH

    ReplyDelete