Friday, January 30, 2009

do not lose heart....

i think she just realized there was an extra kid :)

another random post.... sorry. i am doing this blog for a couple of reasons. primarily, it is for phoebe. it gives her a history, and a glimpse of a past, a past that i can only recapture a piece of -- the piece since she grew in our hearts. it is also an easy way for family and friends to see pictures. and it helps me. selfish, i know, but it does. writing forces you to put your thoughts onto paper and acknowledge they are real. maybe not right, not justified, not whatever, but they are there. to everything there is a purpose, and a season, and we are in a season of change.

we've been home a week and there have been many, many wonderful moments. i thank God for each one of them because they make taking the not-so-wonderful moments a little easier :) part of my devotion today for friday, january 30th, 2009 was this -- "in due season, we shall reap if we do not lose heart" from galatians 6:9. i KNOW that He isn't caught off guard by phoebe's meltdowns. i KNOW He is not surprised by them evoking many emotions in me. i KNOW He will use them for good, to grow both her and me. i told a good friend yesterday, part of the struggle is not really knowing her. can you really know someone in three weeks? her behavior is random (note to self: why does that sound familiar?) which makes me somewhat on pins and needles, never knowing what to expect. BUT, this is not about me. it is about HIM first and phoebe second. and for crying out loud (bad pun...), like i just said it has only been three weeks. i've heard the statistic that it takes as many months to adjust to a new family as they were in the orphanage. we've got a long way to go before we see any real adjustment i think. i remember distinctly two things early on when we adopted sarah, neither am i proud of....calling a friend explaining that i was about to go crazy with this little girl who could push buttons in me that i didn't even know existed and secondly, emailing our travel group and asking if anyone else was experiencing similar behavior that we were (we adopted the oldest child in that group as well although sarah was only 18 months). everyone across the board was struggling to some degree BUT nobody had eluded to any difficulties whatsoever. i will be honest on this blog. because being real is the right thing to do. i pray i glorify God in every real thing i write. He created all these emotions and i believe He understands our struggles, our joys, our emotions. after all He allowed them and/or made them. He is where my strength comes from. i love blogs that include love stories from the first moment with their child. that gives me great joy! but i also love the blog stories of those, like me, who are muddling their way through. somewhere i read that adopting children from ages 2-5 are probably overall the most challenging. they have some life experiences, good or bad, and they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand what is happening. this comes out and it is directed at you. the phoebster and i now have a little routine down... when a meltdown starts, i take her hand and we go to the family room by ourselves. no need to subject everyone else :) and i sit there with my fingers in my ears until it subsides. and i hum 'amazing grace'. i think it was wendy maybe who left me a blog post when we were in vietnam and suggested that i sing church hymns. i also hum this to her as she falls asleep at night. back to the tantrums... i tell her, through words and actions, that as soon as she stops, we can go back out. or if she will say 'up', i will carry her out. please understand, she is very aware of what she is doing wrong, and what the desired behavior is. no language barrier on that one. she is stubborn. i know because stubborn #1 has met stubborn #2 :)

this is a season of upheaval for both phoebe and our family. well, duh? how brilliant was that statement? i guess what i am saying is that while i knew it was coming, i wasn't really prepared... because you can't be. i am trusting in God's Word that He will accomplish His purpose for all of us through this journey He deliberately led us to. so 'do not lose heart' will be my verse for today and the days ahead. thank you for your patience in her, and me, and i have hope that as i look back at these posts, Lord willing, in the months ahead i will once again see His faithfulness and again, ask myself 'what was the big deal?" just as, to a small extent, it was with the trip's homesickness. His faithfulness will be there, absolutely no doubt. i hope i am wise enough to recognize it.

on to this week's primary business -- dental appointments. first, the second dentist, partner to the first who actually does the surgery, seems to be incredible! he hit it off with phoebe and she let him look at every tooth. every last rotted one :(

she has 20 baby teeth. 14 are bad. 5 will be extracted (her four front teeth plus the bottom left molar which is bascially a black hole), 3 crowns, 6 fillings. all done at one time in the hospital. now we are waiting to get her added to our dental and medical insurance and getting the procedures pre-approved. thankfully, we have had very, very little exposure to pre-approvals and insurance junk, so i am happy this is all new to us :) he wants to schedule it immediately to reduce the chance of infection.

and to end on a fun note -- she loved the snow. all 13 inches of it. from the tropics to the tundra (not really, but close :)

thanks for listening. thanks for not judging. thanks for praying. just thanks.

when i am weak, He is strong. xoxoxo, me :)

7 comments:

  1. I have been praying for you this morning and i want you to know what an awesome job you are doing dealing with all that is being thrown your way.Just take every day, every minute,every second at a time and know that the Lord is walking with you every step of the way. What you are doing to take in orphans is something the Lord does not take lightly and he will give you the strength for each new day. You are such a special person to so many people and the many prayers going up for you each day is beyond your comprehension. think on these beautiful things and the thoughts of how many people love you during the moments of meltdown. Just think, you are touching lives that you didn't even realize. Just think of the neighbors that are reading this blog.
    Who knows how you are touching their lives. Its exciting. Please know that i will be praying for you this weekend while we are gone. Love you so much. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone, many children of all ages have trouble adapting, I think you're handling it beautifully. Never feel bad about posting the truth, hopefully it will help you and may even benefit others going through similiar difficulties during an adjustment phase. Remember with time it will get easier. And you're strong and from what I read stubborn too! ;0)
    Phoebe, her little mouth is just a mess isn't it? Poor baby. I'll be sending extra prayers for support out. Enjoyed hearing how she loved the snow, so sweet. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HANG IN THERE!!! thanks for the update. I'll continute to pray for ALL of you. -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey JR. I love you so much. I am so sorry that you felt alone with our first adoptions/daughters. I will call you this week, perhaps when mine are sleeping :O).
    For Daniel (he was 2.8 yrs at adoption), you may remember that we took him to a christian adoption trauma counsler (say that fast ten times !). Friday marked our 2 year gotcha with Daniel home.. just this week, I have felt love - true mother- son love. It has been a very long hard road but God is so good and carried us both through many many many days.
    I am praying for you, lov ing you and i am so sorry that i wasn't there for you in 2004.. pls forgive me.
    love
    jill shelton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, A friend sent me the link to your blog and I couldn't be more thankful. We just brought our 3 year old daughter home from India two weeks ago and are experiencing the exact same things. I am so glad that you are being honest about your experiences as I think that will help others avoid the guilt and frustration that comes with the tantrums, crying episodes, and exasperation. As I pray and sing over my own family, I will also include yours. Praying for grace and His peace to be with you this evening. Brooke Tague
    www.doingtheworksofgod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an adoptive parent as well and found your blog on journey to me. Mine is Dylan from Korea. I just wanted to say that reading some of your entries was like reliving the early days with our first adopted child from China. I have made almost identical comments! Ava was very difficult and the tantrums would go on for hours. She would bang her head on the floor, pull out her own hair, bite, and seemed to have a high tolerance for pain. Scared the crap out of us. I remember many times being in tears and wondering if we made a mistake. I loved your comment about reading the love stories and I kept thinking doesn't anyone have the problems we are having? Thank you for being so honest. I think when a child is adopted people don't want to hear anything negative. Anyway, that was 3 years ago and she has changed so much. She is still very stubborn and we continue to butt heads but we love her now and she loves us. Good luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, I'm so glad that I was just emailed the link to your blog. As Erik and I pray about our future children and my heart for adoption, it's so great to be able to experience some of the ups and downs that you're going through...I'll be praying for you and Greg and the kids...you're so right. God wants you to hang on. :) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if I can help at all. Love you! -Jenny (Windsor) Schmoyer

    ReplyDelete